Photo via Rawpixel
Tips to Ensure a Smooth Transition
Adjusting to assisted living is never easy, no matter how prepared you are for the transition. Moving out of your home into an unfamiliar place where you’re surrounded by strangers is expected to be a bit uncomfortable, to say the least. But once you get settled in, you’re bound to enjoy yourself! You just have to get through those first few months of adapting and adjusting to your new living arrangement. Here are some tips that can help you get settled in a little more quickly.
Moving to assisted living and need to sell your home? Work with skilled and dedicated Realtor® Jai Magner Koch! Call (305) 984-6966
Know What to Expect
Make sure you know what to expect when you arrive at your assisted living facility. This will help you feel better about the transition.
- Understand what sets apart independent and assisted living so you choose the right
option for you.
- Carefully research different Miami-area facilities for amenities, detailed reports, and
payment and pricing information.
- Tour the assisted living facility ahead of time and ask important questions.
- Think carefully about the type of room you want to stay in. A full apartment may cost more, but it will also be more comfortable.
- Selling your home could help fund your stay in assisted living (partner with skilled realtor Jai Magner Koch to maximize your sale price).
Keep Things Familiar
When you’re going through such a significant upheaval, keeping your surroundings familiar will help you feel at ease.
- Arrange your furniture and decorations to mimic the look of your previous home.
- Stick to your old routine as much as possible.
- Stay in contact with your old friends via phone calls and video chat.
Meet Your Neighbors
Socialization is vital to your mental health and wellbeing, especially during a tough transition.
- Be a good neighbor to your fellow residents.
- Start a senior’s hobby group to meet new people and forge strong relationships.
- Encourage other seniors to exercise with you.
- Find local entertainment opportunities and invite people to join you for the fun!
Moving to a new living environment is a major transition, especially when you’re already navigating a slew of age-related changes in your life. Learn everything you can about assisted living, bring along some homey comforts, and make new friends as soon as you can. Taking these steps will make your transition as smooth as possible.